Sunday 11 November 2012

Keith dodges a desperate girl from Croydon

Miss Walker worked at the telephone exchange.

Letter from Keith to his mother, 16 February 1945.
'I have been staying with some people out near Croydon and they are very nice, their name is Walker and they have a son a prisoner of war but they think he is being repatriated. They also have a daughter who is very nice but Mom if you ever saw anyone trying to get herself off a Canuck before the war is over, that’s here, boy I dug myself out of the place about a week ago & she kept phoning Cartright (the club we stay at) and leaving messages so last night I went and took her home from work and went out and had tea at some old cronies place with her mom and boy can her ma talk, that’s all she does. So I told her I had to go back to Yorkshire early today so I hope I’m rid of her for today anyway. She works on the telephone exchange at the shipping ministry in London.' 

Are you a woman from Croydon? Does your mother talk too much? 

Manual telephone exchange, London, 1940s


robert-hunt-london-telephone-exchange-wwii_i-G-46-4622-6LNFG00Z.jpg

http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s50s-telephone-exchange.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment