Thursday 31 January 2013

Philip broke his leg in France

Philip broke his leg riding a motorbike.

Letter from Keith to his mom, 25 July 1944.
'I got a letter from Phillip the other day and he is with Mary for a while again, he broke his leg on a motor cycle in France so has received leave to recuperate, he says he can limp around O.K.'



This is a French motorbike.


So what does Keith do? He gets himself a motorbike so he can visit Philip. I guess he wanted to give his mother something else to worry about.

Letter from Keith to his mom, 4 August 1944.
'I had a  phone call from Phillip the other day, he is stationed not far away from here & is fine, he left Mary in ? Barrie?  And she is fine. I am going on leave tomorrow and am heading to Manchester to see Phillip, I bought a motor cycle so I will be able to make a tour of England & see all my relatives, I have ten days leave, I went into town last night & on the way back it was awful foggy so luckily I was going slow when I hit some loose ground & went ass over tea kettle,  I had another fellow on the back, the bike was ??? and I  only took a little bark on my knees and tore my uniform so I’ll just chock that down as another instructive experience (it taught me that you should walk when its foggy)'

No comments:

Post a Comment