Friday 18 January 2013

Flying spitfires was dangerous

Christmas 1944. Keith was with his cousin Phillip's young wife, Mary, and their friends, Mr. and Mrs. Vinall.

  • Mr. & Mrs. Vinall were the parents of John Douglas Vinall, a friend of Philip's. Phillip and John were both spitfire pilots. They flew together in Malta in 1942. 
  • John Vinall died in Malta on 12 October 1942, and Phillip maintained a friendship with John's parents. 
  • Mary is 'feeling low' because Phillip was reported missing on 19 November 1944. 

On 9 June 1944 Keith explained to his mom how he made the acquaintance of Mary and the Vinalls.

' I wrote to Mary Phillips wife a couple of days ago & I received a reply today, I hardly knew what to write about not knowing what she was like but now that I have heard from her I have found that she is really swell, she is going to have a baby in September & she sure is proud, Auntie Aline is sending the christening set, Phillip has made friends a Mr. & Mrs Vinall parents of a boy who lost his life in Malta & they want Phillip Mary & I to celebrate our meeting at their place so I sure intend to go, once I get on ops we should get plenty of leave'


No comments:

Post a Comment