Wednesday 12 December 2012

Stuart Thomson (Stew) - The Wireless Operator

Stuart Thomson was from Trois Rivieres, Quebec. He was the crew's Wireless Operator, and he was 6 months younger than Keith. 'Stew' died about 3 months before his 21st birthday.

All the guys in the crew were chain smokers, and they depended on their friends in family to send them cigarettes from back home.

Letter from Keith to his mom, 7 November 1944.
'There is a parcel in the Post office for me now but I was too late to get it tonight so I will wait till tomorrow, I hope it is cigarettes cus I owe Stew our Wireless o.p. 9 packages.'




This is the Wireless Operator's station. It was situated near the front of the plane, and contained radio equipment, and a detection system for tracking enemy planes at night.

Click here to see more pictures of a Lancaster Bomber's interior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment